hatch chile pozole
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 pieces veal shank (dipped in flour)
- ¼ lb. chopped yellow onions
- 2 TB. chopped garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock (divided)
- 1 bunch scallions (divided)
- 1 ½ lbs. Hatch chiles, stemmed, seeded, roasted (divided)
- ½ bunch chopped cilantro
- ½ cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 quart demi glaze stock*
- ½ bunch chopped parsley
- 2 ¼ cups chopped celery
- 1 lb. hominy
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- pinch nutmeg
- ½ cube chicken bouillon
- corn starch & water (as needed)
*NOTE: You may substitute beef stock
- Sautee veal shank in the oil until golden brown. Remove the meat from the bone, chop and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, sautee onion and garlic until translucent. Add chopped veal and 1½ cups of the chicken stock.
- In a separate small bowl puree the rest of the chicken stock, and half of each of these ingredients: the scallions, chiles, cilantro, romaine lettuce and spinach.
- Add puree and remaining ingredients to the veal pot. Simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Add corn starch and water mixture to thicken, if needed.