- 5 corn tortillas, cut in julienne strips
- oil for frying
- 1 cup jicama, peeled, sliced 1/4″ rounds
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, 1/8″x3″ julienne
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, 1/8″x3″ julienne
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, 1/8″x3″ julienne
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded fine
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded fine
- Lime Dressing
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 minced shallot
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cotija cheese, grated (or parmesan) – optional
- Fry tortilla strips in oil until lightly browned and crispy. Remove from oil. Drain and cool on paper towels.
- Grill jicama slices for about 3 minutes (enough to mark with the grill and slightly soften). After grilling, cool jicama and slice in julienne strips.
- Toss the jicama, peppers, cabbages and crispy tortilla strips together in a mixing bowl.
- For the lime dressing whisk together the garlic, shallot, cilantro, oil, lime juice and salt. Pour the dressing over the salad and distribute evenly.
- Optional – sprinkle the grated cotija cheese over the salad and mix well.