Crab & Shrimp Cakes with Red Bell Pepper and Cilantro Cream Sauce
Crab & Shrimp Cakes
with Red Bell Pepper and Cilantro Cream Sauce
Serve these rich little patties on two sauces as an appetizer—
or for a delicious small meal with a salad.
Makes 8 patties (serves 4 for an appetizer)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. crushed celery seed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1 tblsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb. lump crab meat
- 1/4 lb cooked shrimp, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs, plus additional for breading
- Vegetable oil for frying
- One recipe Red Bell Pepper Sauce (attached)
- One recipe Cilantro sauce (attached)
- Grilled fresh corn for garnish (optional)
Crab Cakes Instructions
- In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, mayonnaise, peppers, paprika, mustard, celery seed, salt, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine crab meat, shrimp, onions, and bread crumbs. Toss to evenly distribute ingredients. Add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Divide crab mixture into 8 portions and shape into patties. Dip patties in bread crumbs on both sides, pressing lightly to coat.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve ladle the two sauces on either side of a plate. Arrange the crab cakes on top and garnish with fresh grilled corn.
Red Bell Pepper Sauce
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 tblsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced fine
- 1/2 tblsp. garlic, diced fine
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup softened butter
Red Bell Pepper Sauce Instructions
- Roast peppers over gas flame or under broiler, turning until skin is evenly charred without burning. Transfer peppers to a paper or plastic bag, tie the top closed, and let steam until cool to the touch, about 15 minutes. Remove skin and seeds. Puree roasted pepper in blender.
- Combine wine, vinegar, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Add cream and cook 10 minutes longer or until thickened. Lower heat and whisk in the butter, a few pieces at a time. Add pureed peppers and mix well. Strain. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cilantro Cream Sauce
- Follow directions for Red Bell Pepper Sauce, but substitute 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and 1 poblano pepper for the red bell peppers. Roast, peel and seed the poblano pepper and puree with the cilantro.
- All other instructions are the same.